An[other] Ode to Kale
"O, wondrous Kale,
HOW do I love Thee?"
I love Thee braised, sautéed, steamed, roasted, chopped, rolled, tossed into a soup, layered in a casserole, blended in a smoothie, snuck into a puree, featured in a SALAD...!! Shoot, I wonder what you can’t do?? (Probably not so good to wash my car, BUT, it is truly a "Super Food" Icon, capable of seemingly anything…)
What the heck did we eat before you became such an adored Edible Rockstar as of late, having worked your way up from a long-time unsung cameo role as Garnish?? Of course You are still lovely to behold in garden borders, colorful and hardy, but we have embraced you as the nutritional powerhouse that you are (cancer combatant, really?) and this salad is definitely one of my favorite ways to enjoy your ample supply of calcium, vitamins (especially K!), fiber and antioxidants: spectacular. How could you not want summadat??
Here, go where you will; it's just the beginning…
Rainbow Raw Kale Salad with Lemon-Tahini Dressing
(I strongly suggest using organic veggies, esp. in-the-raw, for flavor and nutrition.)
- 1 Bunch of Kale, any variety* (ideally, a mix): cut into chiffonnade [ribbons]
*Lacinato is nice but doesn’t hold the dressing as well as Green or Red Russian: mix ‘em!
- Carrot (as much as you like!): grated or “shaved” with a veg. peeler (don’t bother peeling the organic goodness, tho’.)
- Sweet Onion, any kind, tho’ red is pretty (how much do you like?): thinly-sliced
- Red Cabbage (how colorful do you want this?): shredded
- Some Kind of Seed (pumpkin, sunflower, chia, etc.), toasted or raw: as many as you like (consider seasoning/roasting ’em!)
Toss all of this together, except seeds.
Make this dressing:
- Tahini, ½ cup
- Tamari or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, 1 Tbsp. OR 1 heaping tsp. Miso Paste (red or yellow)
- Fresh Lemon juice: depending on lemons, ¼ c, or however much you like
- Fresh Garlic, at least 1 large clove: finely-minced
- Fresh-ground Pepper, to taste (I like the “rainbow” mix of peppercorns and buy them in bulk, refilling my grinder as needed for freshness and ‘cuz it’s nice to look at, no? :))
Shake or blend these few ingredients, thin with a bit of h20 to desired consistency and toss over salad.
Add seeds, or beans or whatever, and EAT, while singing “My Favorite Things” and contemplating the Endless Possibilities for your Delicious Creations…